Roy Ator is a native of the Lipan area and attended Lipan schools. He entered the U. S. Navy in December 1950 during the Korean War. He retired from the Navy in 1973.
Ator served aboard the USS McGowan DD-678, USS Southerland DDR-743, USS Everett PF-8, USS Saint Paul CA-73, USS Philippine Sea CV-47, USS Hancock CVA-19, and the USS Maloy EDE-791 prior to attending the Basic Enlisted Submarine School in 1960. Ator completed his submarine enlisted qualification in April 1961 aboard the USS Diodon SS-349 as a Firecontrol Technician first class (FT1). Ator then went through training on the Fleet Ballistic Missile Fire Control System and was an instructor at the USNGMS prior to making a deterrent patrol as FTCS (SS) aboard the USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN-633B. Ator having been promoted to Chief Ordnance Control Technician (W-1) was assigned to NOTU; PAFB doing DASO instrumentation on many US & UK FBMs. CWO Ator was selected for Limited Duty officer (LDO) and completed his submarine officer qualification in November 1970 while serving as the Chief Engineer and Diving Officer aboard the USS Tirante SS-420. Ator completed his active duty as the instrumentation officer for OTSU-2 aboard the USNS Range Sentinel T-AGM-22 out of Port Canaveral.
Ator received the following military awards:
· Navy Achievement Medal with two gold starsFollowing retirement from the USN, Ator graduated magna cum laude with a Batchelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree from Tarleton State University.
· Combat Action Ribbon for Korea (52 -53)
· Navy Good Conduct Medal with two stars
· China Service Medal for Formosa Straits Patrol - 1952
· Navy Occupation Service Medal for Japan - early 1952
· National Defense Service Medal with one star
· Korean Service Medal with two stars
· United Nations Service Medal
· Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
· Korean Presidential Citation
· Korean War Service Medal
· Warfare Pins: Silver Dolphins, FBM Deterrent Patrol (1967) & Gold Dolphins
Ator is a life member of VFW Post 6873 in Abilene, Texas.
Ator is a member of several veterans' organizations.
Ator married June Wade on July 14, 1956.